Thursday, April 11, 2019

Forty Days of Giving

This year,rather than focusing on giving things up for Lent, I've decided to do thoughtful things for others,random acts of kindness,if you will. Today, I want to share a few of the ways I've tried to spread some joy,especially among those who may be going through some difficulties. I'm also making a point of sharing kindness with many people I've known for years, who have always been kind ,supportive friends.

   One of the first things I did involved my children. I purchased a few cases of Girl Scout Cookies from a neighbor, because I love supporting the girls. We then tied two boxes together with ribbon,added a note and sent them in to school with two of my boys to share with their classmates. Each child received two boxes. Many kids aren't able to purchase the cookies ,so we thought it would be a nice surprise for them to take home and share with their families. We also donated some cookies to the military through the Girl Scouts website.
  
Another family I know has been experiencing some health issues. While the family member is now recuperating, I wanted to let them know that they were thought of,and that people were praying for a quick, comfortable recovery as well. This beautiful basket from Stonewall Kitchen was my gift to them to help make breakfast a bit easier for the next week or so.
  
We've spent the past few weeks doing a number of things to make people smile. Here are a few of our fun surprises for some unsuspecting friends and neighbors.

   A beautiful lily for the matron on my son's bus. She is very kind to him and we truly appreciate her.
A cake and gift card for a neighbor who recently retired.
A set of personalized stationery for a young neighbor who will be moving shortly.

Cookies for a friend's family.
A bag of chocolates for another family.
Treats for a dear friend of my parents.
A special note with some seeds and a donation for a young boy who grows his own vegetables, sells them and donates his profits.
 
I also dropped off a cake for St. Patrick's Day for a dear friend and spent some time with my son at a local dog park cleaning up after those who neglected to do so.

 Someone even surprised me with a special delivery!

We are very much looking forward to continuing our surprises over the next week and a half, though to be honest, I think this is just something we will continue indefinitely. It feels good to make other people happy. It is nice to know that a simple random act can make a person smile..it can even turn someone's day around. I encourage all of you to join me in thinking of others ,whether it be once a week or once a month. Be kind, be thoughtful, be mindful of others. It can be as simple as helping someone carry in groceries, buying a cup of coffee for a friend, or running an errand for an elderly neighbor. We are all better when we think of others.

Check in next week...I have a something fun in store for the little ones on our street!

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment