Monday, August 19, 2019

It's Been A Minute

Summer has been keeping me very busy! Haven't posted in a while, but I am back! We've been having lots of fun this summer at the beach,enjoying the beautiful days and the warm water temperatures. We've also been keeping busy in the garden, harvesting a lot of tomatoes ,cucumbers and just now beginning to plant for the fall. We've grown so many things over the past few months. Today, I am sharing the beautiful flowers we've been fortunate enough to enjoy this season.
   Spring gave way to some beautiful blooms around our home. Gorgeous shades of pinks and purples came in the way of hyacinths that were as fragrant as they were beautiful.
 


Our tulips put on quite a show as well,along with salmon daffodils.
 





As summer began, our lilies bloomed. The deep red color is one of my favorites.

The addition of dwarf butterfly bushes has not only brought beautiful color to our front yard, but,as promised, gorgeous butterflies..many monarchs as well as this gorgeous swallowtail.
 
Dahlias are always a favorite here. They make for a great border along our fence.I love to plant the dwarf dahlias because of their compact size and  they also last here on Long Island until about Thanksgiving time.
  
My hydrangeas are doing very well. I purchased them when they were very small and every year they grow fuller and more beautiful.


Last year, I planted sunflowers. What a surprise it was to see some more growing this summer. Just beautiful!

I always enjoy seeing the fruits of my labor. For those of you interested in growing hyacinths,tulips or daffodils, fall is the time to purchase and plant the bulbs. There are many reputable online nurseries to purchase from. I like Roberta's, which is a company that also sells on QVC. I've had great luck with their products. One word of caution..I foolishly planted the hyacinth bulbs without wearing gloves. I must have touched my neck while planting because within minutes, my neck was red, burning and itching like crazy. I've since learned that some people,like myself, can develop a reaction known as "hyacinth itch." It's real folks, I kid you not. It was nothing a shower couldn't relieve, but just be smarter than I was and always wear gloves while planting.
   Have a great day! I'll be back tomorrow with photos of our vegetable garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment