Thursday, January 11, 2018

Quinoa Vegetable Salad

I try to eat well throughout the year, and I know that at the beginning of every year, many people try to do the same,so I thought I'd share this easy,healthy recipe today.
   For this salad I used tri color quinoa , but regular quinoa can be used..Quinoa is a healthy grain that is a wonderful source of protein. The quinoa and vegetables can easily be made a few days ahead,and assembled when you are ready to serve. Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have.Today, I sauteed the veggies, but you can roast them if you prefer. This is a great recipe to add to a buffet table or to serve at a luncheon.

Ingredients:
1 c, quinoa,rinsed
1-1/2-2 c. chicken stock( I prefer homemade,but in a pinch,store-bought is fine)
1 small onion ,diced
1-2 carrots,peeled and diced
1 large zucchini,diced
1 bell pepper,chopped(I used half of a red and half of a yellow)
salt
pepper
olive oil
baby arugula
chips
freshly grated parmesan


   In a medium sauce pan, heat the chicken stock and add the quinoa. Boil until the "little tails" of the grain become visible and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
 
If you are roasting your veggies, place them on a baking sheet,drizzle with olive oil and roast at 375 degrees until slightly brown,set aside and cool. If you are sauteing the veggies, place 1-2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a pan,a pinch of salt and pepper, and saute them on a low-medium heat until tender-crisp.
 
Combine the veggies,quinoa,some baby arugula,and crispy chips ,if desired. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan.

  If you want to get a little fancy as I did above, just spread the quinoa on a serving dish, layer the vegetables on top, sprinkle arugula or the greens of your choice around the edges and add some crackers for color. I used beet and sweet potato chips that I found at Trader Joe's, love them!

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment