Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gingerbread Cookies

Since I am going to see the Martha Stewart show on Thursday,and it is cookie week,why not make some of Martha's gingerbread cookies?For an easy ornament idea,just poke a straw through each cookie near the top,and bake as directed.After you have decorated them,slip some festive ribbon through the hole and hang the cookies on your tree!Notice in the picture above,the reindeer is made from an upside down gingerbread cookie cutter!

Ingredients:
3-1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 stick of butter,softened
1 egg
2/3 c. unsulfured molasses

  In the bowl of your mixer,cream together the butter and brown sugar.Add the egg and molasses.Add the baking soda,cinnamon,ginger,cloves and salt.Add the flour and blend until combined.Divide the dough in half,and form two disks.Refrigerate at least one hour.
   Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface(flour your rolling pin as well),about 1/8 inch thick.Use cookie cutters to cut out your favorite shapes.Place on a parchment lined baking sheet,and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10-12 minutes.Remove from the oven and let cool on cooling racks.Decorate as desired!

****For my frosting,I use confectioners' sugar ,water and food coloring.I truly do not measure.I place approximately one box of the sugar(1lb.) into a bowl,and add very small amounts of water until it reaches a spreading consistency.It should not be too thick.If it seems too runny,just add more sugar.I then add a few drops of the desired color.I find that if I make a big batch of the white,I can divide it into smaller bowls and add different colorings to it.Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment