Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pumpkin Squares

     Normally, I do not post any recipes that include a ready made cake mix as part of the ingredients. I honestly am a "from scratch" kind of girl. However, that does not mean that my kids do not love Betty Crocker brownies, muffins or cupcakes. We are just like every other family in America, and you can always find some of these mixes in my pantry. There are always those days when we need a quick mix handy, and I can certainly appreciate that.  My reason for telling you this, is because last week,my son( who tends to be fussy when it comes to food) ,and I were in Williams-Sonoma. The smell in the store was incredible,and we were asked to try a sample of a pumpkin-type crumb cake.Of course, I did not have to be asked twice. My son, however, had to have his arm twisted,and when he finally gave in, he was happy that he did so. As a matter of fact, when I went to purchase the pumpkin butter needed for this recipe, he asked me to get two.....he liked it that much.
     Here is the recipe from that day. It is both easy and delicious, but does require a yellow cake mix, as well as pumpkin butter. It is a perfect additional to your fall breakfast or dessert table.

Ingredients:
1 box of yellow cake mix(reserve 1 cup and set aside)
1/2c. melted butter
3 eggs
 1/8 c. milk
1 c. flour
1/2c.sugar
1/2c. butter,softened
1tsp. cinnamon
1 jar of Muirhead Pecan Pumpkin Butter(13.5 oz)

    Mix the remainder of the yellow cake mix with1/2 cup of melted butter. Add one egg and mix well. Press this mixture lightly into the bottom of a 9 x 13 square pan. Set aside.

   Mix the pecan pumpkin butter with 2 eggs and the milk. Pour over the crust in the baking pan.
   Mix the 1 cup of reserved cake mix with the flour, sugar, softened butter and cinnamon. Mix until crumbly,and sprinkle on top of the pumpkin mixture.
   Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Let cool slightly ,then cut into squares.

***The recipe calls for a 9 x 13 pan...I really had to stretch the dough to make it fit...you may want to try a smaller pan for a thicker bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment