Monday, January 13, 2020

End of Year Round Up

The holiday season was a busy one at our house. We spent the month of December cooking,baking,shopping and enjoying all of  the holiday hustle & bustle. Here is a look at all of the holiday happenings around here.
   As always, cookies were being made. Here are a few of our favorites.

Peppermint Sticks
Nut Cups
Triple Chocolate Delights
Eggnog Kringla
Chocolate Rugelach
I then made a few platters,adorned with Lenox ornaments to give as gifts.

I also put together a cookie board for my family to enjoy.

One weekend in December,I had the opportunity to attend a fresh wreath making class at a local flower shop. It was a fun-filled afternoon  with a great instructor and good company! Here is my creation...
 
We also enjoyed a few walks around our neighborhood admiring all the decorations. This house was one of our favorites. The block it is on hosts a holiday block party each year to raise money for pediatric cancer and a wonderful special needs summer camp. They serve hot cocoa,snacks and Santa always stops by for a visit!
  
Every holiday season, I try to take a little time to spend with the boys engaging in some type of holiday fun. This year, I took my youngest son to see a holiday musical/cirque de soleil type show. We had a nice time enjoying the acrobats.

I also snuck in one of my favorite activities,which is the Magic Lights at Jones Beach. The boys really enjoyed it. Not only is it beautiful, but they have a pit stop along the way where you can get snacks, make s'mores at the fire pit and grab a cup of cocoa. This is always a nice treat.
   Another thing I like to do all year, but especially in December is to give back. I try to find a person or family that can use a little boost around the holidays and together with many generous friends, we try to spread a some seasonal joy. This year we were able to shower an old classmate with many gifts and also bring a large amount of  toys to the NYU Langone Hospital's pediatric oncology unit.  It is easy to get caught up in all the festivities and shopping, but it's so much more important to remember those who may not be enjoying this time of year for many different reasons. Being thoughtful can make all the difference in the world!
  

Naturally, we spent time shopping, but mostly for treats! We have a wonderful italian market a few towns over and they were filled to the roof with holiday goodness!
  
Our dog Gigi even got in on the holiday action. My boys were so surprised when this arrived from Solvang Bakery! Rather than eat it, we are going to shellac it and save it because it is so beautiful!
 
Always the plant lover, I was excited when one of my amaryllis bulbs bloomed in early December. I am still waiting for the other to bloom and it's January 12th!
It was a fun season and a quiet Christmas for us, which was wonderful. I hope you all had a great time spent with those you love and I wish you all the best in 2020!


No comments:

Post a Comment